Making Work for Charities

Posted by Richard Colson on March 29th, 2023

Giving work to Charities

Rockpools Downderry III

I have submitted work to charity events since 1994 when Theo Waddington told me about the new RCA Secret Postcard Exhibition. I continued to submit work for that until 2021 when it stopped happening. Theo submitted a painting on my behalf to the British Friends of Art Museums of Israel Exhibition at Christies's in 1995. I joined the Chelsea Arts Club in 2012 and every year since then I have put in a piece under their themed charities show where members submit work to their auction. I have also submitted a great deal of work to the Oli Bennett Charitable Trust set up in memory of one of the victims of the Twin Towers Attack

There is give and take

I have found that going into the studio to produce this work has sometimes sparked a new fruitful direction in my creative life. So although I support the charities I am also taking myself forward as an artist. These kind of events also make my work accessible to a different audience who may not have been able to engage with it through the usual gallery channels

RCA Secret 2010 Richard Colson at the Artists' Party RCA Secret 2010 Richard Colson postcard for RCA Secret 2010 Richard Colson's Postcard for RCA Secret 2010 Richard Colson postcard for Oli Bennett Charitable Trust 2015 Richard Colson's Postcard for Oli Bennett Charitable Trust 2015 Clint Eastwood Do I feel lucky? Clint Eastwood given to a Chelsea Arts Club Members' Exhibition (2017) Ramone - A Fistful of Dollars Aim for the Heart Ramon I - Gian Maria Volontè (Given to Oli Bennett Charitable Trust 2017) Ramone - A Fistful of Dollars Aim for the Heart Ramon II - Gian Maria Volontè (Given to RCA Secret 2017) Sade Portrait of Sade given to a Chelsea Arts Club Members' Exhibition Totem or Taboo (2018) Bill Hickman in Bullitt Portrait of Bill Hickman as Hitman Driver in Bullitt given to RCA Secret (2017) RCA Secret 2009 Richard Colson Parliament Night and Parliament Day given to RCA Secret (2009)